Crispy outside, soft inside. Take note of this delicious – and easy – recipe.
(20 meatballs / 1 hour) / Click here to see this recipe in Portuguese
1 pound ground beef (low fat ground sirloin, preferably)
salt and pepper to taste
½ onion, finely chopped
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 slice of white bread
2 tbs. bread crumbs
¼ cup milk
1 whole egg
½ cup chopped parsley and/or chives
all purpose flour (about 1 cup)
oil for deep frying
1 – In a large bowl, put the ground beef and seasonings: salt, pepper, onion, garlic and bread crumbs. Mix.
2 – Soak bread in milk and add to the bowl.
3 – Add egg and parsley/chives and mix well, with your hands, until it forms a consistent mixture.
4 – Using a spoon, make balls of about 2 inches in diameter.
5 – Place flour in a shallow platter and roll the meatballs, pressing lightly with your hands, until well coated.
6 – In a pan, heat oil (use sufficient quantity so that the meatballs can be submerged) and add the meatballs. Fry until they are well browned on the outside and baked on the inside (about 8 minutes).
7 – Once fried, put them on a plate with paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Add small bacon pieces to the mix.
- At the time of rolling the balls, you can fill them with a piece of cheese.
- Thyme or oregano are also good spices for this recipe.
- At serving time, cut a lemon into pieces and squeeze it on top of meatballs.
* This recipe was made by Paulino Pereira, my dad.